PROPOSED OFFICIAL MEMORIAL TO LONGRIDGE'S FALLEN OF WW1

Published: 16 August 2017

 

The official memorial to Longridge’s fallen of WW1, the Recreation Ground - always known as the Rec - has long been unmarked and unrecognised as such by many townsfolk and by visitors to the site.

 

Realising how The Rec’s history and significance had diminished over the years, local businessman Charles Carefoot suggested to the town council that the meaning behind the Rec’s open space needed to be reinforced and made a donation to start the campaign.

 

Now a special group "The Rec Memorial Group" backed by the Town Council is  looking into launching a fundraising campaign to erect a proper and lasting memorial appropriate for the Rec’s open space which signifies the freedom which several hundred Longridge servicemen fought and died for in the First World War.

 

The group are asking for help with sourcing local stone to create the memorial or donations to help the campaign.

 

Originally, there was a shelter in place with a plaque after local people demanded something to honour their fallen.

 

In 1925 at a public meeting it was decided to provide a recreation ground for a memorial, the fields were bought from William and Albert Sanderson for £1,740 and the park was opened in 1927.

 

At the time and to provide access from Berry Lane, the Longridge Industrial Co-operative Society allowed a footpath - now Barclay Road - to be created through its land.

 

The entrance gates and promenade to the recreation ground were bequeathed to the people of Longridge by Henry Driver, and are now known as Driver’s Walk.

 

The group would like to ask if anyone would like to donate to cost of the memorial or provide local stone to telephone on 01772 782461 or by e-mail on clerk@longridge-tc.gov.uk